Saturday, January 4, 2014

Moving to Utah - December 2012

Well, It's been a really long time since I have written in this blog.  I'll blame that on a crazy year that I've had.  Just over a year ago I got a new job in Utah.  Now I'm originally from Utah, but we had moved to SoCal for work just after I graduated from the University of Utah.  We always knew that we would eventually wind up back in Utah, but weren't sure when it would happen.  Well, as luck would have it, I was offered a job at Hill Air Force Base as an Aerospace Engineer, and we moved to Utah on December 15, 2012.  After moving to Utah we lived in an apartment while we were building a house, and with all of the madness I pretty much neglected my blog entirely.  That doesn't mean that we weren't doing some amazing climbing though.  I think that in the interest of continuity of the blog, I'll try to do a post for each month that I've missed, with individual posts for some of the more interesting trips that we took.

December:
Before we moved to UT I wanted to try and finish up my project at Frustration Creek, so we took 1 last trip there on December 8th.  We climbed The Natural (5.10a), The first pitch of The Dead Terrorist (5.7), and let Danny play around on his route (Preschooler's Playground).  After that, I tried a bunch of times to get the redpoint on Primal Quest, but unfortunately, I just didn't have it in me.  I did do one final run up The Expedition (5.11b) for old times sake, then we packed up and headed home.  I guess Primal Quest is now an open project.  Hopefully we can make a trip back to Frustration Creek sometime when I'm stronger so that I can finally redpoint that thing.

The Dead Terrorist - 5.7


Gwynne Trying to copy me.


Now it's Amy's Turn

Primal Quest - 5.12b


Clipping the crux 2nd bolt


Topping out on The Expedition - 5.11b


Gwynne working her way up The Expidition

After moving to Utah I quickly became depressed when I remembered how cold it is, and how little climbing is available in the winter months.  We decided that we needed some climbing, so we planned a trip down to St. George for New Years, but I'll write about the details of that trip in January's post.

No comments:

Post a Comment