Thursday, July 24, 2014

Echo Canyon, 27 July, 2013

Sorry, this is another post without photos, we were kind of busy with building our new house, so we didn't take many, but at least we got out climbing a little bit.

On the 27th of July we headed up to Echo Canyon.  I had been wanting to climb at the Dry Wall for a while, but we hadn't done it since most of the routes are pretty hard.  We didn't have a lot of time to go climbing, so we decided that we could go do one of the easy routes, a medium route, and then I could try a hard route before leaving.

For our easy route we chose a 5.10b called The Lowe Route.  The route was a lot of fun and was very techincal with lots of tiny two finger pockets.  I onsighted the route, and Amy ran up it on TR.

Next up we jumped on a 5.11a called Something Must Break, and contrary to the name, it actually felt quite solid.  The route was really good, but very pumpy.  I made it through the crux at about the fifth bolt, but I was just so pumped after that that I had to hang on a couple of the last bolts through the easy juggy vertical section above.  None of the moves felt particularly hard, it was just so pumpy all the way through.  Amy TR'd the route next then we moved on.

Now I had come to the Dry wall one time previously to check it out and there was a 5.12b called Graffiti Patient that just called to me, so I decided I'd make it my hard route for the day.  The route is short with only 5 bolts, but it certainly packs a punch.  It's mostly big moves between nice big holds, but between the third and fourth bolt the holds turn to these tiny crimps that you then have to dyno off of to get to a pretty good (though somewhat slopey) pocket.  I hangdogged my way up the route, but I was able to do all of the moves, so I think I will have to make it my new project.

After climbing Graffiti Patient, Amy didn't want to try it, so we just packed up and headed home.

No comments:

Post a Comment